Photobucket

Thursday, April 15, 2010

How I started my music path... (Part 1)

Days ago I was talking to my student regarding getting into the industry... and I really want to share it here but then blogging about it and chatting away is so much different!! Haha!

Basically, it will have to start way back from year 2000 when I was someone not only who loves singing but also a frequent singing competition contestant!

(For my profile please check out the top right panel on my blog under Portfolio and click * View my complete portfolio *)

I have gained a lot of exposure and made many friends with the same interest during that period. And in 2002 just like all other young men in Singapore, I was enlisted to Tekong for BMT. At that time, I really do not know what I can do after graduation and I was attracted to attend career talks conducted by the civil servants, that resulted to 7 years of myself being a regular national serviceman as a Air Force Senior Technician. The pay is good and the bonus is good, I would say, in fact, the career gave me a stable income. I met many different kind of people, good and bad, my encounter with them working in that environment really shaped my character...

During my training in Air Force school, I was still involved in competitions. There was one competition by Mediacorp that I took part exposed my singing talent to my superiors as the contestants' ads (voting system) were frequently aired on TV... I really had a hard time explaining and seeking approval to continue the competition as it was not allowed for a regular due to image. But somehow, with the help of my mentor, I managed to continue all the way to the finals.

After that incident, I had to cease most of my singing activities outside and whenever there is a performance in the camp, I will be "arrowed" to perform. Subsequently, I even had to be emcee for all sorts of event; parade, DnD, roadshow etc. There was once I was assigned to be a major event's assistant cue master which made me develop interest in events management. Of course, that role to be done by someone who has performing experience will be even better because he will take note of all the details to make sure the show will run smoothly.

There are many thoughts and encounters that happened along the years; I eventually resigned from the regular job. When I became a civilian, I had to cope with taking up 2 jobs. My effort put in to become a vocal instructor... etc.

Please stay tuned to Part 2 of "How I started my music path..."

Thank you for reading!

No comments: